The Mountain Sports Gear Sale is an annual fundraiser supporting local Hope, BC charity Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning
WHEN & WHERE?
Saturday December 2, 2023 from 10am to 3pm in the gymnasium at Silver Creek Elementary School in Hope, British Columbia. Enter through the front main doors at 63831 School Rd.
WHAT IS THE MOUNTAIN SPORTS GEAR SALE?
The Mountain Sports Gear Sale is a fundraiser to support local Hope charity Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning (HMCOL) through the donation and sale of new and used gear, equipment, and supplies used for outdoor recreation.
Included mountain sports/recreation activities: hiking, snowshoeing, trail running, camping, backpacking, mountain biking, gravel and road biking, bike packing, downhill skiing and snowboarding, nordic skiing, ski touring and splitboarding, ice skating, rock climbing, ice climbing, kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding, packrafting, birding, wildlife viewing, and more.
The sale is being organized to create more affordable access to the gear needed to safely and enjoyably partake in mountain activities, including a wider variety of seasons and sports/activities. This community event is a great way to come together, share and connect over your shared interest and passion for the great outdoors!
HEAVY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE! While all items will be priced to sell, you can also keep an eye out for some special red dot items. Any items still available by 2pm with a red dot on the price tag will be sold for 50% off the ticketed price during the last hour of the event (2-3pm). Please bring your own bags to carry purchased items.
BUYER BEWARE. All items are sold as-is and are non-refundable nor under any warranty by anyone including Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning.
The event will have music, free activities outside for children, food available for purchase, a 50/50 draw, and great raffle prizes up for grabs. A few community partners will also be in attendance to share information about their work related to mountain sports.
Entry is $2 per person or $5 for a family payable at the door.
Cash is preferred but credit cards are also accepted by all vendors. Sorry no debit.
Want to donate items?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (778) 918-4915
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING ITEMS FOR HMCOL TO SELL!
This event is a great way to support local Hope charity Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning without donating money. If you’ve got some new or used gear you’re willing to part with, please consider donating it for us to sell at this fundraiser.
All items must be in good, usable condition. Nothing broken, or damaged. HMCOL will decline any gear that is deemed unsafe or unusable.
Donated items must be dropped off at our storage location in Hope, with the exception of items with a market value of $250+ which may be picked up by HMCOL upon request.
HMCOL will set the sale price for all items. All revenue from items sold will be kept by Hope Mountain Centre. If your donated item remains unsold and you would like it back, you may pick it up between 3-4pm on the event day Sat Dec 2 only. Any unclaimed items by 4pm on Dec 2 will be considered property of HMCOL to use at their discretion (may be given away/donated, kept for future sales, or used for programs).
While we appreciate in-kind donations of all values, due to the labour-intensive cost of manually-issued tax receipts for in-kind donations, only items with a market value of $250+ will be provided a tax receipt upon request.
* Note that tax receipts are automatically issued for monetary donations of all values so you are welcome and encouraged to donate online at https://hopemountain.org/donate-now/ .
ACCEPTED ITEMS include (but are not limited to):
All items must be clean, safe, and in good or better condition.
- Backpacks, headlamps, PLBs/satellite comms devices, multitools, hydration
reservoirs, poles, gaitors, puffy jackets, rain jackets, rain pants, snow pants,
baselayers, midlayers, gloves/mitts, guidebooks
Hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, mountaineering
- Hiking shoes/boots, snowshoes, crampons, trail running shoes, backpacks, trail
running vests, ice axes, avalanche gear (probe, shovel, transmitter, inflatable backpack)
- Tents, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, trekking pack, camp stove, camp dishes, camp chair, dehydrated meals, coolers
Mountain biking & gravel/road biking, bike packing
- Bikes, bells, lights, pumps, helmets, padding, shoes
- Downhill skis/snowboard, Nordic/cross-country skiis, backcountry skiis,
splitboard, ski/snowboard boots, poles, wax, tools, avalanche gear (inflatable
backpack, transceiver, shovel), ice skates
Rock climbing, ice climbing
- Harness, rope, rope bag/mat, carabiners, trad rack pieces, personal anchor,
helmet, belay devices, chalk bag, belay glasses, gloves, crash pads
Paddle sports (kayaking, canoeing, SUP, rafting)
- Canoes, kayaks, packrafts, SUPs, paddles, pfds
Birding, wildlife viewing
- ID books, binoculars
EXCLUDED ITEMS that we will not accept:
- Any items not in safe, good, usable condition. Anything unsafe, broken, damaged, dirty.
- Gear related to excluded sports/activities:
- Anything motorized (offroading/overlanding, snowmobiling, motorized boating, etc)
- Indoor sports and activities (hockey, baseball, volleyball, weightlifting, cardio
equipment, yoga items)
- Outdoor sports that don’t utilize mountains/use humanmade landscapes (soccer, tennis,
golf, disc golf, volleyball, skateboarding)
- Hunting, fishing
- Water leisure items ie floaties, non-technical blow-up boats/rafts, innertubes, pool noodles, waterwings
- Weapons of any kind (knives, bear spray, pepper spray)
*we may consider adding some of these items/categories in future sales depending upon interest, but not for 2023
HOW TO DONATE
All* donations must be dropped off to our storage location in Hope. Please contact HMCOL Executive Director to discuss your item(s). Please email her at email@example.com or call/text (778) 918-4915 and let her know a description of all items (brand, colour, size, age, condition), as well as if you are planning to pickup item(s) if unsold. Once discussed, she will let you know the exact drop off location in Hope.
*For items with a current market value of $250+ per item, a tax receipt may be issued and we can arrange pickup of item(s) upon request – please let us know if you would like either of these options.
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
Volunteers are needed to help make this event possible. Positions needed:
- Gear specialist – to answer buyer questions about gear for sale (2 people needed)
- BBQer – to make hotdogs and hamburgers at food table
- Raffle prize + 50/50 table host – sell tickets, take payments, answer questions
- Event promotion & fundraiser – help with poster distribution, social media posting, requesting raffle prize donations
- DJ & MC – manage music & make special announcements
If you would like to help out, please contact Tunde Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know how you’d like to help out.
*All volunteers are needed the whole day to also assist with setup and takedown. Volunteers who work the whole day (9am – 4pm) will each receive a free food voucher and free entry into event to shop during breaks
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS!
Thank you to event partners and sponsors:
Donors and volunteers who help make this event possible!